In our in-house laboratory, we can get instant lab results for sick or injured patients where timing is vital. Since our patients can't tell us what is happening on the inside or where it hurts, these tests make diagnosing, and treatment happen on the same day. The in-house lab also runs our presurgical panels and glucose curves for diabetic patients. Some other tests we run besides blood panels and CBCs are urine, cytology for skin, ears, and cells, heartworm tests, and intestinal parasite screens. Samples that require additional testing will be sent out to a local veterinary laboratory.
Types of in-house lab tests
Blood tests (particularly for older pets who are prone pets, to more health problems, ill pets, and pre-surgical)
We are able to run complete blood counts, chem 10, chem 15, chem 17, electrolytes, urinalysis, feline leukemia testing, thyroid level, heartworm testing, progesterone level, bile acids, blood clotting tests, testing for viral diseases such as Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), and Parvovirus.
Urine tests are run to assess for urinary problems, abnormal discharge, discoloration, smell, etc.
Ear cytology is used to detect what type/types of bacteria and/or fungus are accumulating if the patient is showing signs of ear issues. This allows us to be able to provide the appropriate medications.
Cytology can help diagnose skin masses, abdominal masses, and regular skin issues.
A Skin scraping for mites is done on the skin surface and then looked at under the microscope.
Diabetic testing and treatment
We provide help with the management of diabetes, using:
- Glucose curves
- Placement of freestyle libre
- Appropriate training on administering insulin
- Dietary management
- Proper disposal of syringes
Located behind the exam rooms is our in-house laboratory.
Our new state-of-the-art digital imaging system greatly speeds up the processing and allows images to be transferred to a display in the exam room almost immediately. Radiographs can be taken in a matter of minutes to assist in the doctor’s diagnosis.
We use x-rays to diagnose issues we can not visibly see.
- Bone fractures
- Bone cancer
- Heart disease (ie: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease "COPD" and heart failure)
The X-ray room is located just off the main treatment area, behind the exam rooms.
This service is provided as a diagnostic aid to help our doctors identify the causes of illness. Using a prob and ultrasonic waves, the doctor can see inside the patient. The ultrasound is like a window to the patient. During an ultrasound, the doctor can look and evaluate for:
- The uterus and ovaries during pregnancy or assess for pyometra in the intact for a bitch.
- Diagnose gallbladder disease
- Blood flow
- Enlarged spleen or splenic tumor/mass
- Abnormal growths, such as tumors or cancer
- Bladder, stones, blood clots, and tumors.
- Pancreas, inflammation
- Gastrointestinal system for foreign body, motility, and masses
- Colon for abnormalities, constipation, etc.
- Prostate, evaluate the size, tissue composition, and shape
- Heart, size, pericardial effusion, and overall function
- Adrenal glands, look at size vs disease, tumor, etc. (Addison’s or Cushing’s) disease.
The patient will need to be shaved for the procedure and a padded trough is placed to provide extra comfort.