Dogs are known for eating whatever they can get their paws on. Sometimes this means food while other times it can mean foreign objects like pieces of toys, furniture, and clothing. If your dog has swallowed a foreign object, it’s important to know what to do so you can get him the help he needs as soon as possible. Follow these tips if you suspect that your dog has swallowed something he shouldn’t have:
Visit the Veterinarian as Soon as Possible
It’s important to take your dog to the vet right away after he swallows a foreign object. Call your regular veterinarian and explain what happened and why you need an immediate appointment. If your regular vet is unavailable, you can head to an emergency vet clinic to make sure your dog stays safe. A veterinarian will be able to take x-rays and figure out what your dog has swallowed and what steps to take next.
Follow the Treatment Plan
There are a few different treatment plans the veterinarian may recommend depending on what your dog has swallowed. The veterinarian might be able to sedate your dog and carefully pull the item out of his throat. For more severe cases, the veterinarian might need to perform surgery to remove the foreign object and take care of any injuries it might have caused.
Avoid Future Incidents
Once your dog recovers, you should try to prevent him from swallowing any other foreign objects in the future. Carefully inspect the toys you buy for him and get rid of any that have already been well-chewed and may be falling apart. Keep shoes and other clothing items stored properly when you’re not wearing them. Watch your dog for any signs that he might have swallowed something he shouldn’t have.
If you think your dog has swallowed a foreign object, then you can bring him to Horizon Animal Hospital. Our veterinary team can order x-rays that will allow them to see what your dog has swallowed and then come up with a good treatment plan. Call us at (480) 800-4559 for more information about our veterinary services.