These days, more and more people are seeking ways to improve their health by watching what they eat and exercising regularly. However, many people have not recognized the many therapeutic and health benefits that accompany pet ownership.
While most pet owners are clear about the immediate joys that come with owning a pet, many don’t realize that pets can reduce stress, promote social interaction, ease loneliness, encourage exercise as well as providing unconditional love and affection.
The American Heart Association has linked the ownership of pets, especially dogs, with a reduced risk for heart disease and greater longevity. Other scientific studies of the relationship between humans and animals have discovered:
– People with pets have lower blood pressure instressful situations than those without.
– Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels (indicators of heart disease) than those without pets.
– Playing with a pet can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calm and relax and also improves mood.
– Pet owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets.
Greater Health and Longevity
– Pet owners over age 65 make 30 percent fewer visits to their doctors than those
– Heart attack patients with pets survive longer than those without.
The Scottsdale veterinarians at Horizon Animal Hospital recognize the valuable role pets play in all our lives, and they remain ready to assist you with all of your pet care needs.
This is part of our series on The Best Animal Videos on the Internet. Visit the link to see more great pet videos!