No matter how hard we try to keep our dogs away form table scraps, there may come a time when they will get some food that wasn’t intended for them. While many foods will not cause any harm, there are some that can. Following is a list of items you should make sure your dog never eats, and seek medical attention if they do.
You may have heard that certain fruits can harmful to your dog. To be more specific, you never want to feed your dog apple seeds, grapes or raisins, onions, chives, or mushrooms. All of these can cause various levels of problems for your dog, some serious. If you discover that your dog has ingested any of these items contact your veterinarian immediately.
While most people don’t intentionally give alcohol or drugs to their pets, dogs can be opportunistic, and a cocktail made with some cream, left on a coffee table, can be an easy target. The same can be said for drugs like marijuana. If your dog manages to ingest either alcohol or drugs the results can be quite serious. Don’t hesitate to contact your vet or the emergency clinic as soon as you suspect, and better yet, do whatever you can to keep these items far away from your dog as possible
Candy, chewing gum or chocolate are also known to be dangerous to your dog. Many of these products contain sugar and Xylitol, which can have effects on your dog’s liver. Depending on how much is consumed results may be long lasting and could even include liver failure. You can also put coffee in this category. Keep chocolate, candy and caffeine out of reach of your dog.
Even if you do all that you can to assure that your dog doesn’t get into of any of these items, accidents can happen. Fortunately, the veterinarians and staff of Horizon Animal Hospital are here when you need them most, and will do their best to get your pet back to health.
This is part of our series on The Best Animal Videos on the Internet. Visit the link to see more great pet videos!